Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Horoscope: Make sure you're not so caught up in the race you forget why you're running.


When I read the Leo horoscope yesterday, I had to do a double take. It said, "Make sure you're not so caught up in the race you forget why you're running," Wow, that is a bit freaky!! Why would my horoscope have anything to do with running? I have never seen it refer to that topic before. It gave me pause for thought, almost like it was a personal message just to me.

I am running for two reasons, one because I want to be fit and prepared for the upcoming half marathon. But the biggest reason is, I have for many years admired my daughter's commitment, discipline and overall good attitude. I attribute all of those things to her running. I have always wanted to have some of what she has, so I decided to go for it.


You say, that's not hard, just start running. It's not so easy, you see I am a couch loving, TV watching, popcorn with butter eating, could be but refuse to be a card carrying member of AARP....for me, it is a huge stretch. I am one of those who goes on a diet in the AM and is completely frustrated by the same PM that I have not lost any weight. I know I have not lost any weight, because I have weighed myself at least four times during the day to check. When I exercise, I immediately start looking for the change it is making in my body. I mean after the first session, I am looking hard into a mirror for some sign of benefit. My body hurts like it should be working, but the abdominal jiggling indicates otherwise.


At my age, change is slow, even when you work at it a lot. One of my other daughters, Terry's twin sister, started back to running a few weeks ago. Tonight she reports a loss of twelve pounds. I had a little salt on my food at lunch today, so tonight I am showing a gain of a pound and a half. This makes me feel so discouraged. Why is it taking me so long to show any improvement? Not only that, why is it taking so long for me to be able to run any distance without feeling like I need a life line button attached to me to summon for immediate help?


I need to go back to the point of it all, I need to pay heed to my horoscope. I am not in it to weigh a certain number, or to be able to run a determined distance. I am in it to get fit, to be more emotionally balanced, to feel better about myself. I am in it to be able to participate in the half marathon, not set a record. I am in it to maintain what I have today, so I can be here tomorrow. The only reason I even think about these things is because I have a daughter who has shown me what I can do if I put forth the effort. If I keep my eye on her and the goal, I will see this through while continuing to be totally....inspired by my daughter.

4 comments:

  1. Right on Momma! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go Momma I feel like I need a lifeline button for sure especially today when I lost my friend while running my 20 in the dark. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up and above all consistency will get you there. Remember it is not about how fast you get there - justput in the mileage, the rest will come in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant "just put in the mileage" :)

    ReplyDelete