
Today is the start, the start of something I have wanted to do for a long time. Today is the start to going for it....not letting my own insecurities stand in my way. I can and will achieve my goal of being fit and feeling good about me.
I have spent a lifetime of battling issues with my weight, my body and low self image. For some unknown reason, despite many successes in life, I have always convinced myself that I am not capable or worthy of having a body that would allow me to feel good about myself. I have flucuated back and forth for years (just like Oprah). I have had moments of triumph, but more of defeat.
I had almost given up. At fifty four I started feeling like, it's too late, I've missed the chance. I told myself "your body can't be what you want it to be, you missed the boat." I was believing every bit of that when my long distance running daughter asked me one more time to do a road race with her. I am a walker not a runner (not that I am even walking much these days). There is a race in February, come sign up with me, she pleaded. I felt intense guilt as I tried to make up some excuse. Some how this time I couldn't refuse her. I decided I needed to show her how much she has inspired me with her discipline, determination, faith and commitment. She has run since she was fourteen. She is now thirty two. She looks eighteen. That is her in the photo.
So I have signed up for the February race, I have found a training schedule, I have on my running shoes and clothes(my legs are so white, I may blind passing drivers). I will chronical every step of this journey. I have to approach it as an adventure. I am making it public so that I can't back out. Follow me as I start today...inspired by my daughter.
I have spent a lifetime of battling issues with my weight, my body and low self image. For some unknown reason, despite many successes in life, I have always convinced myself that I am not capable or worthy of having a body that would allow me to feel good about myself. I have flucuated back and forth for years (just like Oprah). I have had moments of triumph, but more of defeat.
I had almost given up. At fifty four I started feeling like, it's too late, I've missed the chance. I told myself "your body can't be what you want it to be, you missed the boat." I was believing every bit of that when my long distance running daughter asked me one more time to do a road race with her. I am a walker not a runner (not that I am even walking much these days). There is a race in February, come sign up with me, she pleaded. I felt intense guilt as I tried to make up some excuse. Some how this time I couldn't refuse her. I decided I needed to show her how much she has inspired me with her discipline, determination, faith and commitment. She has run since she was fourteen. She is now thirty two. She looks eighteen. That is her in the photo.
So I have signed up for the February race, I have found a training schedule, I have on my running shoes and clothes(my legs are so white, I may blind passing drivers). I will chronical every step of this journey. I have to approach it as an adventure. I am making it public so that I can't back out. Follow me as I start today...inspired by my daughter.

Mom, what can I say except I love you to pieces. You and I will make it to the finish line together and we will raise our hands in victory. Then of course we will do a little vistory dance!
ReplyDeletePS: Let's blind people with ours whiteness together!
I am inspired as well, and will hopefully drag my butt through the 13 miles as well:)
ReplyDelete